Kindness, compassion and acceptance can be difficult to give to others, especially in challenging situations. But it is often even more difficult to give kindness, compassion and acceptance to ourselves. For many of us, myself included, it is like an ability we didn’t get a chance to learn at school, or even at home, because our parents may have been too critical or distant or too focused on themselves. But regardless of what we missed out on earlier in life, we are now capable adults who can learn new skills.
In this group I will be taking you through guided meditations that help you to:
– form a stronger connection with your body, emotions and inner being,
– get to know your inner child and learn to comfort and look after him or her,
– learn to feel and embrace all emotions, not just the pleasant ones,
– discover the treasures hidden in your grief, sadness, anger and fear,
– meet your inner critic and turn this tormentor into a friend who supports you through the challenges of life,
– embrace what it means to be a perfectly imperfect human.
1. We will start by introducing ourselves and setting our intentions (10-20 min).
2. I will guide you through a meditation – you can sit down, close your eyes and simply listen and follow the instructions of where to focus your attention (30-45 min).
3. After the meditation we will talk about what we’ve experienced (15-30 min). This last part is also an opportunity to ask questions about meditating or about any challenges you might be having with self-kindness in general.
On colder days we will sit by the warm fireplace. You are welcome to enjoy the space and mingle after the session before heading out into the night. Let’s create an inner glow that you can carry into the rest of your week.
Time: Thursday evenings 6:00 – 7:30pm. Come a little earlier to settle in. Please do not come in after 6:10pm as it disturbs the meditation for others.
NOTE: this class runs at Lockdown Levels 1 and 2, but not at Level 3.
Place: The Hum Salon, 123 Grafton Road, Central Auckland.
Suggested Koha: standard – $5 / good income – $10 / financially struggling – $2 / whatever feels right. Koha is not a fee and no one is excluded.
Put into the koha box or transfer to: Valera, 38-9002-0523922-19 with reference “koha”.
– Go to the top of Queen Street, turn left, cross the Grafton Bridge – it’s the very first building on the right.
– From AU / AUT: just a 10 min walk up Symonds Street and across the Grafton Bridge.
– Enter through the front entrance (pictured above), we’re in the first room on the left.
- Street parking is free from 6pm (you can start parking from 5:45pm thanks to the 10 min “grace period”).
– There’s also a $2 (for the whole evening) parking lot across the road – on the left side after you cross the bridge coming from CBD.
– Power off all your wireless electronic devices (or enable airplane mode) for the duration of the session.
– Please do not wear strong perfume or fragrances.
– No smoking / alcohol / drugs before coming.
– Do not come when you are sick to avoid passing it on.
– Be respectful towards others and the venue.
– Do not arrive after 6:10pm.
^ These are necessary to create an enjoyable and healing session for everyone.
No registration is necessary, you can just turn up!
Feel free to bring friends along (tell them about the event rules).
Newcomers are warmly welcome. Come as you are. No prior experience necessary.