In this 3-hour experiential workshop we will focus on bringing our attention into the present moment and learning to just “be” – without having to do, fix or change anything. The participants will be guided through a series of meditation techniques that help to overcome the mind’s constant need to solve problems, worry, dream and be entertained, uncovering the state of conscious presence underneath. There will be multiple opportunities to ask questions that come up during the practice. This workshop is not religious and is not centered around any specific tradition or guru.
The workshop is open to both complete beginners and experienced meditators. For complete beginners it offers an opportunity to have a first meditation experience and begin exploring the spiritual dimension of life. For experienced meditators this workshop offers an opportunity to use the focused group environment to go deeper. Exact contents of the workshop will be tailored to the needs of the participants.
The workshop is offered by Valera Koltsov, a certified Tai Chi instructor with 10 years of teaching experience, in his home studio in Laingholm on a non-commercial basis. Koha is optional ($20 suggested).
Time: 2:30pm – 5:30pm on Saturday 2nd of May 2015.
Registration: Register using the form below. Limited to 15 participants.
Note: The previous workshop got fully booked several days in advance so registering early is recommended. You can read what the participants thought about the previous workshop here.
Location: 11 Laingholm Drive, Laingholm (close to Titirangi), West Auckland.
Getting There: 40 min car drive from the city. Or use the 171 bus:
1:40pm – New Lynn Interchange, 1:50pm – Titirangi Shops, 2:00pm – Laingholm Drive.
6:00pm – Laingholm Drive, 6.26pm – Titirangi Shops, 6.36pm – New Lynn Interchange.
- This workshop is not suitable for people who have a mental illness or take psychiatric medication.
- Wear clothing that is comfortable for movement. Wear socks.
- Do not use any essential oils or scented products – perfume, cologne, deodorant, aftershave, hair products – on the day of the workshop to ensure that we have fragrance-free air in the room. This is important for breathing techniques.
- Do not smoke, drink alcohol or take any drugs on the day of the workshop.
- No cell phones or electronic devices in the building. (If you are coming without a car and have to have a cell phone on you, it must be completely powered off for the duration of the workshop and left with your shoes in the foyer.)
Food recommendation: start the day with a good breakfast and have a filling lunch before the workshop, to see you through until dinner. Optional suggestion: making your lunch vegan can strengthen your receptivity in meditation practice (ex: a base of rice, pasta or potatoes with cooked vegetables, beans or lentils).
All you need to bring is yourself. There will be filtered rain water to drink during the workshop, and a cup of tea afterwards for those who want to stay and chat. Taking written notes during the workshop will be impractical – focus on the experience and write after the workshop if you want to record some ideas.